Skip to main content

February Blog Post

February  Service Hours: 4 
Cumulative Service Hours: 8

Happy Black History Month! To say February is the shortest month out of the year, it sure was action packed. This month was full of research, presentations, lecturers & tests, and preparation for the shelf exam that's in a couple of weeks. And I must say that I am really anticipating this shelf exam. I plan to spend the entire month of March studying and preparing myself for this exam.


Neurology and Psychiatric pharmacology have by far been the most interesting modules yet! After going through these lectures, I was amazed on how misinformed that we all our about topics concerning mental health: schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, etc. This module opened my eyes even more and pushed me further to be a bigger advocate for people with mental health problems. 


I am a bit sad though because this is the first year in I don’t know how many years that there was no Mardi Gras. Due to covid and the pandemic that is still going on 🙄 Mayor Teedy Cantrell cancelled all Mardi Gras festivities for the “Big Easy.” I believe the decision to cancel everything was done with good intent, I agreed with the decision, but I was really looking forward to being able to get to the city to enjoy life away from pharm for just a minute. It has been very overwhelming at times. 


I wasn't able to be do as I anticipated with my volunteer hours this month. This month I wanted to read books to young students about African American influencers and write letters to the residents of the nursing home but time really was not on my side to complete everything. However, I was still able to do my part! I was able to assist Hope Behavioral Health & Abundant Virtual Solutions with their vision to help feed 3,000 families of the Baton Rouge community. We were able to empty THREE food bank trucks full of food. Before this program, I really didn’t involve myself with community service at all but now I see it as a blessing to help others with your time. It’s nothing to give a monetary donation and keep it moving but taking time out of your busy schedule & donating your time towards helping out someone else really shows just how much you care. 


Watch out everyone, graduation is on the horizon! One shelf exam, a couple more cellular control exams, and a few more presentations and we’re ending this chapter and on to the next. 


Until next month!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Blog post

January Service Hours: 4 Cumulative Service Hours: 4 Welcome back pharm bloggers!!   Well, the new and final semester has started, and I couldn’t be happier! I loved the month-long winter break and being able to rest but I was concerned with getting back in school and getting back to the work. I thoroughly enjoyed working through the endocrine/reproductive module. I was able to relate to this module on a personal level being that my father was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in December of 2019 and being a male and knowing about certain contraceptives that can be used/taken. This module was a breeze to say the least but very interesting at the same time. I have a feeling that all of the modules this semester will be a breeze being that we have a shelf exam coming up in April, I haven’t gotten my thoughts together yet about when I’ll start studying for it and what study methods, I will use but I’m working on it. The only thing that I feel a little stressed about are the 2 ex

October Blog Post

Community service hours:  12  out of 12 I just want to start off by apologizing to all of the prospective pharmacology students that may across my blog for not having a “cute” blog with a cool theme and background picture. I am tech savvy but only to a certain extent. 🤣😝   The month of October for the pharmacology program has been crazy and when I say crazy, I mean CRAZY! This month alone we have had a total of 5 exams and 9 quizzes. Exams are biweekly and quizzes are weekly. Now, that wasn’t said to discourage anyone because I can guarantee you that being in this program is most definitely worth it! I am loving it here!! Grad school gets a 10/10 would definitely recommend. But man do you have to put some work in. I’m so happy that I invested in an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil for more efficient and eco friendly note taking because I can only imagine the number of notebooks and pens I would have gone through by now. To keep my motivation high about pursing a caree

March [Full of] Madness

MMarch Service Hours: 10  Cumulative Service Hours: 18 And there goes March!! Yet another month down in this program.  I consider the month of March a thing of the past, I was glad to have experienced it and I’m even glad that it’s over. For me, the month of March consisted of my second dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, 1 medical pharmacology exam on Psychopharm, 1 principles of pharmacology exam also on Psychopharm, 2 presentations: one on stress & immunity and the other on “Fremanezumab for the Preventive Treatment of Chronic Migraine” - a mouthful yes, I know; just imagine how I felt this entire month. Not to mention that we also had an exam in cellular control mechanism on ion channels, membrane transporters, etc. all while studying for the NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners) which serves as our cumulative final exam for our med pharm course. On tomorrow (April 1st) my classmates and I will take this examine, I have more than enough faith that al